Monday, April 13, 2009

Argument Reflection

My argument paper was over why fighting in the NHL should not be banned. I am pro for allowing fighting to take place in NHL games. Most people do not understand the real reasons why fighting is still allowed to take place in games. My audience needs to understand that if players fight each receives a 5min major penalty for fighting. Although fighting results in a 5min penalty, fighting is allowed to take place in games. I gave extensive evidence for the reasons why players fight because i assumed most people do not know why it takes place. Players fight for specific reasons, not just to throw fists at each other. Some of the things fighting does are as follows: changes the momentum of the game, protects players, sends messages, and holds players responsible for their actions on the ice, heinous or not. I felt throughout my paper that i stayed on topic and that i stayed with my view on why fighting should be allowed. I did not criticize the opposing view and say this and that about the anti-fighting crowd. I gave my audience reasons and explanations why instead of coming out saying this is how its going to be, no if ands or buts.

A good persuasive paper allows the writer to announce his side of the argument while giving extensive reasons and examples of why he believes his stance on the topic is right. The writer must build his side of the argument up and stay on track with his stance, not switching back and forth to the opposite view point. However the writer needs to be aware of the opposing audience and make his points clear enough to make a valid argument.

2 comments:

  1. well i feel like everyone is entitled to their own opinion. "to each is their own"..... something i have been told for a long time

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this is a cool argument. I really do not watch hockey but I only when my boyfriend turns it. I think that the fighting is scary lol maybe because I am a girl. I think that it has been going on for this long so do not see why they should take it out, it is part of the sport so why take it out? Yes it is scary to watch them beat the crap out of each other but hey its HOCKEY! That is probably the reason why most people are fans of the sport, for the fighting. To me Hockey wouldnt be hockey with out fighting. I wonder if the players really hate each other after the game. (hmmm) :-)

    ReplyDelete